Not enjoying the weird noise your model 3 makes when driving at slow speeds, but looking for a reversible solution, in case Elon delivers some more interesting sounds?
The PWS speaker is in a somewhat exposed area, and is subjected to dust, water and anything else that gets kicked up off the road while you're driving. This kit ensures that when disconnected, both the supply cable and the socket are completely, and professionally, protected from the elements until you're ready to plug it back in, either for resale, or a cool new sound that comes out. Disconnecting the speaker generates no errors.
Disclaimer: You are disabling a safety feature by opting to do this, albeit one that will never exist on half a million older Teslas, and many other hybrid and EV's. With that said, when your Tesla does become fully autonomous, and does not require your supervision to drive and navigate in public spaces, we recommend that you reconnect the speaker.
- The speaker is located on the front right side of the Model 3 (S & X are probably the same, but at the time of writing, we can't confirm!), so when parked, turn the wheel as far is it'll go to the LEFT, thus providing easy access to the front right wheel well/liner.
- Grab a medium flat-head screwdriver, and remove the 3 'pop-pins' nearest you, that hold the wheel well liner to the body.
- The liner is flexible, so once the pop-pins are removed, you can pull it back to reveal the speaker.
- Remove the plug from the speaker by pulling back on the grey retaining clip, and then pull the entire plug out.
- Now take the female plug from the kit and use it to seal the cable. Use 2 of the blue seals to weather-proof the back of the female plug. To prevent the cable being lose, you might want to take some electrical tape, or a cable tie, and secure the cable to itself.
- Now take the male plug from the kit, and plug it into the socket on the speaker. Again, use 2 of the blue seals to weather-proof it.
- Now replace the 3 pop-pins and secure the wheel well liner. You're done, enjoy the silence.